Work clubs are places to share experiences with other people who may be in a similar situation to you. You can get help with job search techniques, interview skills and developing your CV and IT skills.
See below the locations of work clubs in and around North and East Halifax and the Lower Valley :
Ovenden and Mixenden Initiative run weekly work clubs that are open to anyone who is looking for work. They are friendly and informal and are run by Heather Stout and Dan Marham on:
- Tuesdays – 1pm – 4pm at Mixenden Library at Mixenden Activity Centre
- Thursdays – 1pm – 4pm at Beechwood Road Library, Illingworth
Call 01422 252 209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information
Free support for families and young people looking for work:
- Mondays, 1 – 3pm at Elland Children’s Centre, Elland.
Drop in support for job search:
- Mondays, 6.30 – 8.30pm at Brighouse Salvation Army 33 King Street, Brighouse, HD6 1NX. Call 07702 938100
Drop into the Careers Centre, Alexander Street in Halifax, Monday – Friday for employment, education and training information.
Halifax Careers Centre – 01422 342106
Job Club is run by Libraries Reference staff; get help with: setting up an email, online job searches, uploading CVs, formatting a CV, discounted printing available. The club is open to all job seekers.
- Tuesdays, 10am – 12pm at Central Library, Halifax
Customers should have basic IT skills, if a customer does not have basic IT skills they will be offered sessions with a volunteer to improve their skills to a level where they are able to participate in the Work Club. Customers need to be a library member so they will need to join and to do so they need to bring some basic ID and get a card on the ground floor desk. Tel 392631 or email email@example.com
Calderdale College job club for all JSA/ESA/IS customers.
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 3pm – 5pm at Calderdale College, Francis Street, Halifax, HX1 3UZ. Tel: 01422 399327
Halifax Central Initiative ESOL Work Club
For speakers of Czech or Urdu. Referral from Job Centre Plus required. For customers who live in Park Ward or surrounding areas. Basic IT knowledge needed.
- Fridays, 10am – 12 noon at Queens Road Neighbourhood Centre, Halifax, HX1 4NE
St Augustine’s Work Shop
- Wednesdays, 10am – 12pm at St Augustine’s Family Centre, Hanson Lane, Halifax, HX1 5PG
Drop in for customers who are looking to return to work, education or training. Contact: 01422 342719
Job Support Club
- Wednesday, 10am – 12pm at King Cross library
Offering informal, ongoing, one-to-one support to search for work, training, voluntary and developmental opportunities, along with help to smoothly return to work.
Can help with: job search advice practical support to find vacancies setting up accounts with job websites updating your CV advice when completing job application forms financial help when returning to work an estimate of Tax Credits / Housing Benefits when moving into work signposting to other support.
The service is free – to book your initial 30-minute appointment ring 01422 288028 / 288084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help will be available for job searching, CV production, tips on interviews and applications, and support to access further and higher education. Careers Advisor available:
- Thursday, 2 to 4pm at King Cross Library
Other advice will be given about funding for college or university and whether you may be eligible and help given to help you decide which direction to take.