Money and Benefits Advice

There are lots of organisations locally that can give you advice and make sure that you’re getting all the help you’re entitled to.


New Citizens Advice Sessions at Kevin Pearce Children’s Centre

Calderdale Citizens Advice Bureau now offers a brand new service from Kevin Pearce Children’s Centre Annex, (map)

The sessions offer free and confidential advice to help people resolve their legal, money and other problems.

Sessions will run weekly on Thursdays, 10am – 1pm from the housing office except on staff or public holidays.

You may have to wait at busy times, please be aware that CAB advisers may refer you to another session or to CAB main office if your case needs further work beyond the advice we can give on the day. If in doubt, call CAB Telephone Helpline on 01422 842848

We can also help with any back to work support you might need through our North Halifax Work Support

The Citizens Advice service offers practical, up-to-date information and advice on a wide range of topics, including; debt and benefits advice.

Get advice online now from for practical, reliable, up-to-date CAB information in English, Welsh, Bengali, Chinese, Gujarati, Punjabi and Urdu on a wide range of topics.

Halifax Citizens Advice Bureau, 37 Harrison Road, Halifax (Link to map)

Telephone: 01422 842848 or email

Sick of Being Skint?

SOBSA high percentage of young people lose their homes each year in

Calderdale due to their failure to manage their money and keep up with rent and bills.

The SOBS team work with 16–24 year olds who are first time social housing tenants or may rent homes in Calderdale in the future.

Their aim is to reduce the number of young people who lose their homes and make them more financially streetwise.

Look out for the SOBS Team in your area!

Or you can contact SOBS yourself or be referred by a worker that you are already seeing at another organisation.

Click here for the SOBS referral form


Pennine Housing Tenants

Pennine THG

Pennine Housing understands that people have money worries and may need some help and advice to sort these out. We can help you with all your money worries, benefit or pension questions.
If you need to talk to someone about your rent or housing benefit please call the new Pennine Housing Income team on 0300 555 0266 (local call rate, including inclusive minutes from mobiles)

Energy Advice for Pennine Housing Tenants

From draught proofing to heating plans… Pennine Housing has a NEW team of skilled Energy Advisors just waiting to save you money!

We can visit you at your home to make sure your house is fully insulated and free from drafts.  We will give you advice about your fuel bills and check the energy rating of your appliances, as they could be wasting energy and money.

Call 01422 284533 or email:


Sure Start North and East Halifax – Family Support Team

Sure Start

Dedicated team of support workers who can provide structured and tailored Family Support that suits you.

We also offer practical friendly advice to help you manage through those difficult times of family life,  including

  • Training
  • Benefits advice
  • Debt advice
  • Returning to work

Contact the Core Services Team on 01422 251090



Calderdale Council

Benefits advice

Information on making complaints, appealing against a decision, back dating benefits, changes to be reported to the Council and contact details.

A range of benefits application forms are available for download, in pdf format, or completion online for all benefit claims and appeals and to notify a change of address or circumstance.

The Benefits calculator will give an indication of how much benefit (eg Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance) and tax credit you could get, and find out about claiming specific benefits.

From 1 April 2013 Calderdale Council is introducing a Local Welfare Assistance scheme to help residents in times of emergency or disaster, and to help maintain independent living within the community. The new localised scheme will replace Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants which were formerly managed by the Department for Work and Pensions. Calderdale Council aims to provide support to those households with a genuine need. Support will be provided by awarding vouchers rather than cash for living expenses. The scheme will be funded by Central Government. However, funding is limited, so the Council will monitor funds to ensure that support is being provided to those most vulnerable. More information can be found on the Council’s website at Local Welfare Assistance


Credit Union

Calderdale Credit Union

We have now moved to George Square. 15-19 Commercial Street, HX1 3NQ. Our new telephone number is now 01422 386060.

For information please call 01422 386060 or 01706 818975, or visit our Facebook page.


noahsNoah’s Ark Centre

Noah’s Ark has a debt advice service and helps those who want it in setting a budget to avoid getting into debt. We will help you and, if you want, we can deal with your creditors on your behalf.

Just get in touch and make that first step on your journey to dealing with your finances, and we promise that you can be freed from whatever imprisons you.

Call our debt advice service telephone on 01422 364664 to make an appointment at the Centre, or send an email to and we will call you.

Read more… Noah’s Ark Debt Advice and Money Management>>

Better Thinking About Money – A FREE course from Noah’s Ark Centre produced in association with Credit Action.

This free four-week course will enable you to manage your money, learn how to budget, increase income/reduce spending, save and borrow sensibly, and deal with debt.

Following the course, there’ll be a session on the new benefit rules from Pennine Housing, information about bank accounts from Credit Union, and you will be able to access the internet to let you compare energy deals and/or check your benefit entitlement.

To register your interest please contact the Noah’s Ark Centre on 01422 366911 or email to find out more.


Young People

Youthfax online is a one stop information shop containing sections which cover a broad range of issues including;

You can also drop into the Information Shop for Young People in Calderdale at 16 Alexandra Street, Halifax, HX1 1BS

The Information Shop provides free advice and information on any topic for young people aged up to 25.

Staff will be able to tell you the best place to get help. there is also a separate room available for you to chat with a member of staff in private.


Free Financial advice at Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees

Expert confidential advice from local professional Financial Advisers

Do you have questions about:

  • Planning for your retirement
  • Long term care funding
  • Inheritance tax
  • Investments

Come and ask the experts! Call today to book your appointment: 01422 399830

Advice is free, impartial and with no obligation.


Free school meals

Free School Meals are available for school children of parents or guardians who receive one of the following:
  • Income Support.
  • Job Seeker’s Allowance (income based).
  • Child Tax Credit, and have an annual income of less than £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs).
  • Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
  • Support payments under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

NB: If you are aged 16-18, still at school, and receive Income Support or income based Jobseeker’s Allowance yourself, you can get free school meals.

If you are receiving Working Tax Credit, your child / children are not entitled to free school meals.

You must tell the Benefits Assessment Unit if you have any changes affecting your income, as it may affect your entitlement to Free School Meals.

How to apply for free school meals

Download a Free School Meals application form. Or request a form from your school or from the Benefits Assessment Unit on 0845 2458000 or


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit that has started to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment. Universal Credit will help you to be better off in work, start a new job or work more hours.

Universal Credit will eventually replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

At this time, your eligibility to claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

Read more…


Facing up to debt can be a tough process. But there is lots of free, confidential help and advice available, so there’s no need to pay a debt management company to sort out your money worries.


Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) is a registered charity that provides free and anonymous advice over the phone and online to over 350,000 people per year. They provide fee-free debt management plans and other debt solutions.

Advice offered; Debt, bankruptcy, Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs), debt relief orders (Insolvency Service approved), bailiffs, charging orders, employment, benefits, money management, mortgage and repossession support, and equity release.

Phone the CCCS Helpline for free on Tel 0800 138 1111 (Monday–Friday, 8am–8pm; Saturday 9am–3pm)  Or Use the CCCS call back service



One thought on “Money and Benefits Advice

Comments are closed.